Soak up the last bits of summer with this vibrant dish.
Charred Veg Salad with Herbs & Ricotta Salata
1 avocado squash
1 crooked neck squash
1 yellow or green cucumber
1 fennel bulb with fronds
½ cup pistachios
juice and zest of 1 lime
¼ cup sherry vinegar
2 tbsp coconut aminos
½ tbsp fish sauce
1 tsp sugar
1 garlic clove, microplane
1 bunch cilantro
1. Combine sherry vinegar, coconut aminos, fish sauce, sugar, and garlic in a stockpot. Bring mixture to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Cook lacquer until texture becomes tacky.
2. Heat pistachios in a cast-iron skillet, shaking vigorously over medium to low heat.
3. Remove pistachios from the stove and lightly grind with a mortar and pestle. Toss in salt and oil to evenly coat.
4. Using a pastry brush, baste vegetables with the glaze.
5. Place lacquered vegetables directly on the stovetop over medium to high heat. Use a pair of tongs to periodically rotate over the flame.
6. Once lightly charred, remove vegetables from heat and chop into medium-sized pieces. Allow vegetables to cool in a medium-sized bowl before assembly.
7. Add pistachios and roughly chopped fennel to the bowl and lightly toss together.
8. Place salad on a serving plate and shave flakes of ricotta salata on top.
9. Garnish with cilantro, salt, and lime zest.
Photo: Courtesy of DeVonn Francis
Want more stories like this?
In the Kitchen with Pia and Davide Baroncini
What to Eat and Drink for Every At-Home Summertime Activity
Meet the Woman Celebrating Black Female Talents in Food and Wine