Advice from 6 of our favorite editors on how to stay, well, cool in the beauty department
“I try to embrace a more beachy, undone look in the summer—minimal makeup, a slight wave in the hair. Anything too perfect or studied is a recipe for disaster. That said, I never leave home without Boscia green tea blotting papers. There's a fine line between dewy and greasy.”
Jane's summer beauty essentials
1. Clarins Sun Control Stick: “Sun protection is key for me, and this stick is perfect for on the go sunscreen touch-ups. It's especially handy on days when I'm shooting outside or running around to a million appointments.
“It’s inevitable: when the temperatures rise, hair and makeup are both bound to melt as the workday drags on in the summer heat. It’s all about staying as shine-free as possible and keeping your routine simple. I keep Armani Maestro Eraser Concealer on hand at all times; it keeps the eye area matte and bright. Then I add waterproof mascara (whether you’re near a body of water or not) and just a smidge of gel eyeliner, finishing it off with a swipe of By Terry Hyaluronic Blush, a light cream. The key is to fake a healthy glow—without looking like a sweaty mess. You’ll look like you spend your days dilly-dallying beachside, instead of alternating between a fluorescent-hued office and the steamy pavement.”
Tina's summer beauty essentials
1. Armani Luminessence CC Cream: “This multi-tasking silky cream is a color-correcting, tinted moisturizer and sunscreen in one. Instantly smoothing your skin, it provides glow like no other.”
2. Chantecaille Rose de Mai Hydrating Cream: “This is the ultimate lightweight, effective cream. It feels so amazing; I want to bathe in it. It also makes skin velvety soft, so it’s great after a day in the sun to soothe and heal.”
4. By Terry Hyaluronic Blush in Blush Berry (No. 2): “I literally never leave home without this. It grants you a gorgeous flushed glow, making you look like you just ran two miles on the beach. No one will know you have not moved for hours, other than drawing yet another frozen mojito from hand to mouth.”
5. Chantecaille Lip Chic: “Nothing makes your lips more beautiful and kissable, a formula that’s color, shine and lip treatment in one. And there’s no gloppiness at all, trust.”
6. Alterna BoHo Waves Tousled Texture Mist: “With bamboo extract (to strengthen hair) and blue yucca root (a natural fixative), this is ideal for freshening hair before sunset cocktails. It also comes in a portable purse size, for beach-to-eat touchups.”
“Full disclaimer. I love the heat. I am a Leo, so the summer is my season. It can never be hot enough for me. I don’t sweat and I rarely use air conditioning. My body is kept cool by my ice-cold heart, similar to [that of] a reptile. I’m kidding. (Mostly.) In the summer however, my hair is totally plagued by the New York City humidity. Most days I give it the normal touch up with my curling iron and trusty anti-frizz spray from TRESemmé but sometimes, I just can’t be bothered. That is when I let the curls do what they want and only beef them up with a light brushing and curl cream from Miss Jessie’s. As for my face, because of increased sun exposure, I am a little darker in the summer than the winter, so I custom make my foundation from Koh Jen Do with two different shades. Despite the fact that I wear SPF 70 or greater, I still get color. Melanin is strong. Trust.”
Danielle's summer beauty essentials
1. Nutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch Sunscreen, SPF 100
2. Koh Gen Do Maifanshi Moisture Foundation
3. Diorshow Iconic Overcurl mascara
4. Miss Jessie’s Quick Curls
5. H2O+ Spa Sea Salt Hydrating Body Butter
"I can't stand being hot, so in the heat of summer, I'm a less-is-more kind of girl. (I'd literally wear a bikini to work if it were acceptable. Kidding… not kidding.) So when it comes to my beauty routine, I rely solely on a BB cream with SPF, an eyelash curler, mascara, and a pop of color on my lips. Sometimes I even leave my apartment makeup-free and apply everything as soon as I get to work where the AC is KICKING. And the same minimalist approach applies to my hair. I strive for Gisele's effortless waves, but since #IDontWakeUpLikeThat, I usually spritz my hair with salt spray, throw it in a top knot, and then let it down when I get to the office."
Carly's summer beauty essentials
1. E.L.F. Cosmetics BB Cream SPF 20 in Buff
2. Shu Uemura Eyelash Curler
3. Rimmel London Scandal Eyes Rockin' Curves
4. CHANEL Rouge Allure Intense Long-Wear Lip Colour in Mèlodieuse
5. Wella Ocean Spritz
“A spray wax (I use one from Paul Mitchell) is a really good way to eliminate frizz without weighing down your hair. Just a few spritzes is all it takes. And unlike most anything else you put in your hair, it feels really clean—I can use it a few days in a row without having to wash it. I have never had a problem with makeup melting off in the summer—I think it's because I don't wear too much foundation—but I have noticed that my eyeliner will run, so I'll either use a waterproof gel eyeliner in the summer, or dip a brush into a tube of waterproof mascara and use that as eyeliner. (The latter is a trick I picked up from Michelle Phan.)”
Lauren's summer beauty essentials
1. Paul Mitchell Spray Wax.
2. Clarins UV Plus Broad Spectrum SPF: “I'm a recent convert to this formulation from Clarins, which was recommended by our beauty editor, Cheryl [Wischhover]. Because it's much more fluid than your typical sunscreen, it absorbs easily and prevents the makeup you apply over it from pilling, which sometimes happens when I put foundation over thicker sunscreens.”
3. Oscar de la Renta Moisturizing Sunscreen: “This is my favorite body sunscreen to wear once the sun comes out. As the name indicates, it's moisturizing, absorbs easily and has an SPF rating of 30. But best of all is the fragrance—a mix of orange blossom and apricot that smells nothing like your typical, chemical-y bottle of sunscreen.”
4. Bare Minerals Marvelous Moxie Lipstick in Bright Melon: “I love a bright lipstick in warm weather, but bold reds and pinks tend to overwhelm my face. This color, from Bare Minerals, is a delectable shade of coral—cheerful but not too bright. When I wear this, I like to keep the rest of my look simple: center-parted hair, minimal makeup, a white or navy shirt.”
5. Nail polish: “I keep my toenails polish-free during the fall and winter months (polish and nail polish removers dry out your nails, so it's important to air them out in the colder months) but in the summer I wear polish all of the time. Lately I've been gravitating towards warm grays and taupes—right now I'm wearing Essie's Miss Fancy Pants on my toes and a slightly lighter Essie shade (I can't remember which) on my hands.”
"In the summer, I live by a few low-maintenance beauty rules: less is more, layer gel and cream makeup (you can blot and add more later) and don't attempt perfection. And I'm also a firm believer in anything waterproof—nothing's worse than your makeup melting off your face."
Ying's summer beauty essentials
1. By Terry Cellularose Blush Glace in Frozen Petal: "I love this for cheeks, but you can also pat it on lips for a light stain and blot with a blotting paper so all that's left is the pigment. Follow with an SPF lip balm like Shiseido Sun Protection Lip Treatment."
2. L'Oréal Paris Voluminous Million Lashes Waterproof Mascara: "Waterproof mascara is non-negotiable when it's hot out. This one never clumps, doesn't run and instantly opens up my eyes."
3. Guerlain Eye Pencil in Amber Silver: "This color looks great with a bit of a tan—it's more surprising than basic black. For an evening look that doesn't require much effort, line your eyes, then wing it at the outer corners. If it's really humid out, smudge it with your fingers for a smoked-out effect."
4. Nars Hot Sand Illuminator: "I'll skip foundation in the summer, but swipe this on my cheeks for a nice glow."
5. MAC Pro Longwear Waterproof Brow Set: "This tinted gel keeps brows in place; it never melts and streaks the way waxy brow pencils can. You don't really need other eye makeup if your brows are full and neatly groomed."
6. Monoi Tiki Tahiti Tiare Oil: "An all-purpose oil that heals sunburns, hydrates skin, makes hair shiny, and doubles as a perfume. It smells amazing like the tropics,"