Hairstylist Kylee Heath breaks down her look for us.
Let’s just put it out there: Nicole Kidman looked stunning at last night’s Critics’ Choice Awards. The actress’s sleek, black gown—heavy on the thigh slit—featured cut-outs in all the right places, yet read so elegant, thanks to a red lip, diamond jewelry, and a low twisted hair knot courtesy of her hairstylist, Kylee Heath. “It was a collaboration working with the style of the dress and makeup,” she told us. “I wanted the hair to be classic, but modern and on the sleeker side, to be fluid with the style of the dress.” And just in case you wanted to evoke just a little bit of Kidman’s look at your holiday party this week, Heath (whose client roster includes Diane Kruger, Rashida Jones, and Kristen Stewart) gave us the step-by-step right after sending Kidman down the red carpet.
“When trying to achieve this look at home, pull hair into a ponytail and then twist it around to help secure your hair so that it’s not so overwhelming trying to secure it with pins.”
3. At the crown, I blow-dried the hair in an upward motion to give it more lift.
4. Once the hair was dry, I smoothed out the hair from midshaft to end with the Ultra Smooth Professional Styling Iron.
5. I warmed MOP molding cream in my hands and used it to smooth out ends, tame flyaways, and to lay down the cuticle.
6. Then, I pulled all of Nicole’s hair back low at the nape of her neck, twisted the hair around my hand and secured it using small bobby pins, leaving the ends of the hair out so that they fanned out toward the side.
7. Next, I sprayed the C-system Firm Finish Hairspray for hold and added shine.
8. Lastly, we decided to pull two small pieces of hair from the front for added softness.
Photo: Courtesy of Instagram/@nicolekidman_officialpage