It may be fully loaded, but it’s also vegan and gluten-free.
When we’re on the hunt for something delicious to cook up, our first stop is Greenhouse Juice Co.’s blog that is bursting with recipes. Whether you’re a beginner in the kitchen, or someone who’s been flipping the spatula since before you can remember, there is a recipe there for you. At Cov HQ we’re trying to get a jump start on our New Year’s resolutions (said no one ever) by stuffing our faces with food that is incredibly delicious, but also healthy and fulfilling. The below recipe checks off both of those boxes, and then some.
FULLY LOADED BAKED SWEET POTATO (V, GF)
“These warm and savory baked sweet potatoes are just the thing to combat a mid-week slump. Topped with a rich cashew crema and sautéed vegetables, they are also plant-based, gluten-free, and filled with healthy goodness. Whether you call them po-tay-toes or po-tah-toes, these loaded root tubers will make for a sweet, decadent, antioxidant-rich snack or supper.”
3 sweet potatoes
1 cup mushrooms of your choice (chopped)
1/2 cup onion (chopped)
1/2 cup red pepper (seeded and chopped)
avocado or olive oil (your choice, for sautéing)
fresh lemon juice
1. Preheat your oven to 375°F.
2. Using a knife, fork, or other point-y device, poke holes in the exterior surface of washed sweet potatoes.
3. Bake potatoes for approximately one hour, or until fully cooked.
4. While the sweet potatoes bake, prepare your cashew crema*.
5. Sauté vegetables for the filling in avocado oil (or other oil of choice) until lightly brown. Though we have elected to load our sweet potatoes with mushrooms, onions, and red peppers, feel free to substitute for your preferred veggie toppings.
6. After approximately one hour, remove sweet potatoes from your oven.
7. Cut potatoes in half, load with vegetable filling, and top with cashew crema.
8. Add salt and cayenne pepper to taste, and squeeze lemon juice over potatoes. Garnish with sprouts and mung beans.
*CASHEW CREMA INGREDIENTS:
1 cup raw cashews (soaked for two hours)
2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
1 clove garlic
1/2 cup water
2 tbsp olive oil
sea salt (to taste)
1. Strain and rinse soaked cashews and combine all crema ingredients in a blender, whizzing until smooth.
Photos: Courtesy of Greenhouse Juice Co.