Three words: Pistachio, coconut, squares.
Not sure about you, but finding a healthy and simultaneously delicious snack has been an ongoing mission for us. Which is why when One Part Plant’s Jessica Murnane made up these not-too-sweet but totally satiating to-go squares (featuring a few of our favorite ingredients: pistachios, coconut flakes, oats and maple syrup), we had to get her to give us her recipes.
Pistachio Coconut Squares
Makes 12 Squares
1 cup raw shelled pistachios
1 cup rolled oats
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 cup real maple syrup
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/3 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
Raw honey (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line a 9-inch square pan with parchment paper.
2. In a food processor with the S blade attached, process the pistachios, oats, and salt for about 30 seconds, until a meal starts to form. Drizzle in the maple syrup and olive oil while the motor is still running until the meal begins to come together into a crumbly, almost-wet dough.
3. Press the dough evenly into the pan and cover it with coconut flakes. Bake for 10-12 minutes, until the coconut is nice and golden brown and the dough is cooked through. You want the squares to still be a little soft—don’t overbake these.
4. Carefully lift the cooled dough out of the pan by holding two sides of the parchment paper. Let cool.
5. Cut it into squares. Drizzle a little honey over the top for extra sweetness, if you like. Store the squares in a sealed container for up to a week.
Kitchen Notes: You can rough-chop a handful of pistachios and mix them in with the coconut topping for extra crunch and color.
Photo: Courtesy of One Part Plant