You Won’t Believe How Many People Searched For IKEA Bags This Week
Balenciaga was the best thing to happen to the FRAKTA.
Remember when Jil Sander sent models down the runway clutching $630 paper lunch bags, or when Louis Vuitton reinterpreted the plaid nylon shopping bag for $3,000? It’s hardly the first time designers have taken mundane, bargain bags and slapped an astronomical price tag on them. So are we really surprised that Balenciaga (may or may not) have been inspired by IKEA’s (let’s be real, iconic) big blue bag? Nah.
The bigger story here? Ikea's hilarious and totally genius response. The Swedish retailer released a print ad showing exactly how to tell if you've got a genuine FRAKTA on your hands. The criteria?
- Shake It. If it rustles, it's the real deal.
- Multifunctional. It can carry hockey gear, bricks, and even water.
- Throw it in the dirt. A true FRAKTA is simply rinsed off with a garden hose when dirty.
- Fold it. Are you able to fold it into the size of a small purse? If the answer is yes, congratulations.
- Look inside. The original has an authentic IKEA tag.
- The Price Tag. Only $0.99.
IKEA, you won. And the numbers show it: according to their reps, visits to their site has jumped 500% in just a week. You’re about to see a lot more FRAKTAs out in the wild. Read more about the campaign, and see the ad for yourself here.