Our editors’ take on the trends that are here to stay.
Trends come and go, but there are some that are just *so* good, we’re never willing to give them up. Sure, there’s always the classic white tee and black denim combo (that we love), but the past few seasons have uncovered some new favorites that we’re considering the new classics. They’re the pieces that have become pretty much glued to our bodies, and we give side eye to anyone who asks to borrow them. Call us crazy, but we’re convinced we’re never going to get sick of these beauties.
1. Tome Shirt: Blue and white stripes plus cotton button-down shirt = a classic wardrobe staple. In the words of Oprah, this much we know for sure. What makes Tome's take on the piece feel irreverent and fun is the billowing sleeves, tailored cuffs and cool neckline. Besides, you can literally never (if you’re me, at least) have too many blue and white stripes.
2. Levi’s Made & Crafted Arrow Jeans: As you now know, denim *is* a relatively new classic in my world. These Levi’s Made & Crafted jeans are just the thing for a relative denim newbie—and help justify the purchase of the aforementioned Tome shirt.
3. Valentino shoes: Much like the button down shirt, the strappy leather block heel isn't going anywhere anytime soon. What makes these beautiful Valentino babies worth spontaneously surrendering my rent and then some is the glittery gold stars splashed all over the taupe leather.
1. Jonathan Simkhai Satin Culottes: Call me crazy, but I’m certain that I’ll be wearing culottes for as long as I live. I’m all about comfort, so it’s pretty much a given that these are a staple piece in my wardrobe.
2. Levi’s Made & Crafted Boyfriend Trucker Jacket: Without fail I find myself wearing my denim jacket multiple times during every season. There’s never a time when it isn’t a good option. The key is to find a fit that feels so good it’s almost like a second skin. This boyfriend version does just that for me. I know I’ll be wearing it for years and years to come.
3. Jennifer Fisher Earrings: It’s very rare that my earrings match—I’m all for the mismatched look and this Jennifer Fisher set is perfect.
1. Levi’s Made & Crafted Blazer: There are few things I love more than a cocoon-y coat, and this one fits the bill nicely. I'm looking forward to swaddling myself in this all autumn and into winter.
2. Anine Bing Boots: In my book, gold, block-heel boots are classic, and I just can’t quit with this pair.
3. Loquet London Locket: A Loquet locket has been on my wishlist since, oh, the very first moment I saw one. I know I’d wear this forever and ever and ever, and always get compliments on it.
1. Chloé Pants: Any standardized “30 items you need in your closet by 30” bullshit will tell you you need a pair of black pants. And while I don’t entirely agree with that (...isn’t that what denim is for?), I do love a good pant that makes you feel ready to deal with life. Rainbow stripes and zippered cuffs only add to the feeling.
2. Aquazzura Flats: For me, ballet flats are the forever and ever shoe, and tons of style icons (Jackie Onassis, Audrey Hepburn, Brigitte Bardot) help prove my case. The latest iteration, with lace-up everything, is fine by me and makes these flats feel much more modern (and therefore night out appropriate).
3. Mansur Gavriel Bag: This may be a super trendy brand at the moment, but there’s no denying the classic shapes and feel of their designs. And this new tote is no exception. Again, my barometer of “classic” is, ‘can I see 50-year-old me wearing it?’ And yes, I can. In fact, it almost feels like something a really cool grandmother would pass on.
1. Loewe Bag: I like my bags relatively anonymous and “classic” to begin with, but a style that I know I’ll wear forever is the black cross-body in a size that fits everything I need—and nothing I don’t. This Loewe version toes the line between ‘right now’ and ‘forever’.
2. Simon Miller Sweater: I fell even harder for the Simon Miller brand when I visited their showroom a few weeks ago. The brand's creative directors Chelsea Hansford and Daniel Corrigan claim their clothes are built to last, and I believe it. This is the sweater that will be in your closet until the end of time.
3. Maison Margiela Boots: I believe in block-heeled boots to the bottom of my being—I wear some version of them every season without fail, and I’m betting I always will. They never get old or look dated, full stop.
1. Adam Lippes Pleated Skirt: Every season I find myself obsessed with one style of clothing, and this season it’s 100% the pleated skirt. Extra points if it’s metallic.
2. Fernando Jorge Emerald Earrings: I truly believe in my heart of hearts that colored stones are the new classic. And there is something about the emerald that seems so much like an heirloom, I imagine myself having it for life.
3. Verbier Wool Turtleneck: Knitted turtleneck sweaters will never leave my fall and winter rotation.