3 Last-Minute Halloween Looks You Can Pull Off with *Just* Makeup
Because who has time for anything else?
We’ve all been there: It’s either the night before or the day of Halloween, and you don’t have a costume. The thought of going into one of those seasonal all-Halloween-everything stores sounds like torture (because it is), and to be honest, we’d be just as content eating candy on the couch as we would be going out to celebrate. That is, until our friends start calling and texting, telling us about this party and that party and that other party, too, all of which sound very fun. We can already visualize our Instagram feeds populating with Halloween selfies and group shots, and who wants to miss out on a fun night where everyone is dressed in some ridiculous ensemble and partying extra hard? Not us!
When we’ve reached this juncture in years past, we’ve put on an all-black outfit, drawn some whiskers on our face with eyeliner, and headed out the door. But this year, in lieu of being a cat for the eighth year in a row, we’re taking some tips from Sephora Pro makeup artist Shawn Lumaban and creating the standout looks below: a divine high priestess, a very creepy Pennywise clown, and a gilded daughter of Midas. Ahead, Lumaban’s step-by-step guide for how you can pull them off, too, using just makeup. Happy Halloween!
1. Create a glittery, black smoky eye using Sephora Collection Colorful Shadow & Liner in 16 Glitter as a base. Using your fingers, smudge it over the eyelids and under the lower lash line. For saturation and longevity, apply a glittery black eyeshadow on top using a flat shadow brush.
2. Finish the eye look by applying Sephora Collection Long Lasting Kohl Pencil in Infinite Beige along the waterline to make the eyes appear bigger. Apply two coats of mascara on the top and bottom lashes.
3. To create dimension, apply Marc Jacobs Beauty Glow Stick Glistening Illuminator on the high planes of your face (cheekbones, above the brows, Cupid’s bow, and bridge of the nose). To intensify, apply Fenty Beauty Killawatt Highlighter in Lightning Dust/Fire Crystal on top.
4. Using Stila Magnificent Metals Glitter & Glow Liquid Eye Shadow in Diamond Dust, create a decorative design on the forehead. Be as creative as you want! Apply the same glitter shadow on the center of the eyelids, outer corner of the eyes, and on the chin.
5. For added drama, use Sephora Collection Cream Lip Stain Liquid Lipstick in Black Cherry on the lips with Fenty Beauty Gloss Bomb on top.
1. Hydrate the skin using a moisturizer like Bobbi Brown Vitamin Enriched Face Base Moisturizer to bring out the natural glow of the skin prior to foundation.
2. Smudge Sephora Collection Colorful Shadow & Liner in 08 Gold all over eyelids and under the lower lash line using fingers. Apply a gold eyeshadow—like the one in the Sephora PRO Editorial Palette—on top of the shadow liner, also using your fingers.
3. Take the Fenty Beauty Killawatt Highlighter in Trophy Wife and apply on top of the cheek bones, temples, chin, décolleté, and shoulders using a powder brush. Layer more for intensity!
4. For the lips, apply Bite Beauty Prismatic Pearl Crème Lip Gloss in Gold. Using the same gloss, create tears falling down the cheeks.
PENNYWISE “IT” CLOWN
1. Create a smoky eye with Sephora Collection Colorful Shadow & Liner in 22 Dark Taupe Shimmer, using your fingers to smudge it all over the eyelids and under the lash line. Apply waterproof eyeliner to the waterline, and finish with two coats of mascara.
2. Using an angled liner brush, apply Make Up For Ever Aqua XL Color Paint Shadow in Matte Red on the center of the eyelids, going up vertically, past the eyebrows. Do the same starting from the center of the bottom lash line down towards the cheek. You can decide to have a stopping point on the center of the cheeks, or you can go all the way and connect to the corners of your lips.
3. For a “bloody” look, add Milk Makeup Lip Metal in Slayer on top of the red, and let it set. Once set, add Stila Magnificent Metals Glitter & Glow Liquid Eye Shadow in Gold Goddess just on the center to add extra texture.
4. Finish the look by contouring the face using the Kat Von D Beauty Shade + Light Face Contour Palette, and finish with a matte red lipstick.
Want more stories like this?