Instantly Tone Your Legs Anywhere With These Moves
They're all you need for Gisele-y gams.
As much as we understand and appreciate that some measure a workout’s hardcore-level entirely on the amount of sweat exuded in one session, there are times, like this one, where we just want to walk out without feeling like we need to sit in a bathtub filled with ice. Can you blame us for wanting to spend 60-minutes wear girly pastels and do fluid eloquent movements instead of jumping on boxes (to risk skinned knees) and swinging around barbells? Don’t get us wrong, barre workouts are by no means easy work. We mean, we’ve all seen and heard about the strenuous regimes of ballerinas. But if there is one thing we know for sure, it’s that they have amazing, super-toned legs. Which is why we had Sarah Wingo of Pure Barre to break down the best leg defining moves we could do practically anywhere.
• In standing position., place your hands on your hips, bring your heels together and toes apart. Extend your right leg straight in front of you toward hip height and flex the foot.
• Alternate lowering and lifting the leg for 20 seconds.
• Hold the lift and make a tiny bend the leg. Then extend the leg. Repeat for 20 seconds.
• Hold the leg straight, with arms reach forward. Do little lifts up, leading with the inner thigh for 20 seconds.
• Repeat on each side two times
Inner and Outer Thighs
• In standing, walk your feet out wider than your hips, turn your toes out slightly and bend your knees to bring your seat toward knee level. Reach both arms forward.
• Pulse down an inch up an inch for 30 seconds
• Hold the pulse at your lowest point and lift and lower the heels for 30 seconds
• Hold on your tippy toes, reach your arms up overhead, and do little pulses down for 30 seconds
• Repeat this series 3 times
Inner and Tops of the Thighs
• Place your right hand on a light support, left hand on your hip, stand with your ankles knees and thighs together. Rise onto your highest tippy toes, find your balance as you bend your knees slightly, tighten through your core and keep a flat back.
• Hook your right ankle over your left and open and close the knees for 30 seconds
• Switch ankles. Hook your left ankle over your right and open and close the legs for 30 seconds
• Set both feet down and do little pulses down for 30 seconds
• Repeat the whole series 3 times
• Hinge forward over a light support like a chair or table top. Rest your forearms on the support, clasp your hands, chest stays lifted, walk your feet back slightly. Bend your right heel to your seat, flex the foot, and slide your leg back a few inches.
• Alternate bending the heel to the seat and extending the leg straight for 30 seconds
• Hold the heel to the seat, squeeze the seat to draw circles with the heel for 30 seconds
• Extend the leg straight, point the toes, and do little lifts up with the leg for 30 seconds
• Repeat this series 3 times on the right, and then 3 times on the left.
Side Seat Work
• Place your right hand on a light support, left hand on your hip, stand with your heels together toes apart. Bend your left knee directly out to your side (in line with your hip), bend your left heel to your seat, flex the left foot with your left hand behind your head and elbows wide.
• Do little lifts of the left leg for 30 seconds
• Do little presses back of the leg for 30 seconds
• Extend the left leg straight out, point your toes, reach your left arm back, and do little lifts for 30 seconds
• Repeat this series 2 times on the left and right.
Top of Thighs
• Stand with your back against a support, walk your feet out in front of you slightly. Bend your knees to sink your seat into chair position. Bring your feet hip-width apart and place your hands on your hips.
• Extending the right leg straight out, flex the foot. Alternate lifting and lowering the leg up and down one inch for 30 seconds. Switch legs and repeat.
• Set both feet down and alternate lifting and lowering the heels for 30 seconds.
• Repeat this series 2 times.
Outer Thigh & Side Seat Area
• Stand with your heels together, toes apart. Place both hands on your hips, rise onto your highest tippy toes, bring your heels together to touch and then take a small step forward with the right foot. Bend your knees to sink your seat toward knee level.
• Pulse down an inch, up an inch for 30 seconds
• Reach your arms forward and do little pulses down for 30 seconds
• Reach your arms up overhead and do little presses back with the knees for 30 seconds
• Repeat this series 2 times on each side.